A Georgia postal worker is being hailed a hero for saving a dog’s life. While delivering a package, the postal worker noticed the dog in pain – apparently from a snake bite – and rushed the pup to the vet. She likely saved the dog’s life.

Postal worker notices dog in pain

According to People, Kelsey and Aaron Proctor are the pet parents of a Beagle named Ginger. Postal worker Holle Keene Prigmore often made deliveries at the Proctors’ home. Ginger would trot up to the mailbox for a treat from Prigmore. The two were familiar with one another.

On Sept. 22, however, Prigmore realized the dog was in pain. Ginger had suffered a snake bite and needed veterinary care. The Proctors were not home. So, in a clever problem-solving twist, Prigmore typed a note on her phone that read “little beagle bit by copperhead.” Then, she held the phone up to the couples’ Ring doorbell so there would be a recorded message in case the dog parents were concerned. Prigmore also took a photo of the snake so the vets could treat Ginger properly. Finally, Prigmore sought treatment for Ginger at an emergency veterinary clinic. This selfless act proved life-saving for Ginger.

Dog parents search for woman who saved their dog’s life

Initially, the Proctors didn’t know who saved their dog. They wrote about the incident on Facebook and posted screenshots from the Ring doorbell. They expressed their gratitude to the then-unknown hero.

“This sweet woman took our girl to the vet and left us a note on her phone in our camera to see,” the Proctors wrote in the post. “I want to thank her from the bottom of my heart. Thankfully, Ginger is going to be okay, and I truly believe it’s because of this woman.”

Within 24 hours, followers identified Prigmore – and Prigmore herself left a comment. “My absolute pleasure to help,” she wrote. “Ginger is a doll baby.”

Dangers of snake bites for dogs

In a Facebook update on Sept. 23, the Proctors wrote that Ginger “is doing well.” However, they also shared that “she is in pain. Her back left leg/paw is swollen and she is afraid to put pressure on it. She has been resting, getting lots of love, and under some blankies.”

If a dog is bitten by a copperhead snake, immediate action is crucial. The venom can cause tissue damage, so keeping your dog as still as possible is crucial to stop the spread of venom. Emergency veterinary treatment is necessary. The vet will likely administer antivenom, provide pain relief, and recommend other supportive care.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *